Militants `capture soldiers` as Iraq unrest kills 12
Baghdad: Militants appeared to have taken five Iraqi soldiers captive near Fallujah Sunday, according to witnesses and online videos, while violence elsewhere killed 12 people amid a nationwide surge in unrest.
Anti-government fighters hoisting a black flag like one often flown by jihadists also seized six army Humvees and set fire to some of them after clashes with security forces near the city, which has been outside of government control for weeks, according to videos posted on YouTube.
The videos -- which could not be immediately verified -- show five soldiers being led away. Some witnesses also spoke of five soldiers "captured" but others said as many as 22 were taken.
According to witnesses, anti-government fighters attacked a small military outpost on the outskirts of Fallujah in the morning, forcing some soldiers to retreat while others gave themselves up.
One video shows a pick-up truck with five men dressed in Iraqi army uniform sitting in the back as onlookers crowd around them, hoisting the black flag and shouting slogans in support of the Al-Qaeda-linked Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
Another video shows militants driving two Iraqi army Humvees as Fallujah residents look on.
Witnesses said six Humvees were seized, and that three were set ablaze.
The latest unrest marks another setback for Iraqi forces who have struggled to wrest back control of Fallujah and parts of nearby Ramadi that have been out of government control for weeks.
Security forces have also been locked in deadly battles in Ramadi, where militants hold several neighbourhoods, and have carried out operations in rural areas between the two cities.
Also on Sunday, 12 people were killed in violence across the country, pushing the overall death toll for the month above 850, more than triple the toll for January 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!