`Militants fleeing embattled city in southern Yemen`
Aden: Suspected Al-Qaeda fighters were fleeing the embattled city of Loder in southern Yemen following gunbattles and an assault by government forces in which dozens have died, the interior ministry said Tuesday.
In the latest fighting, "Four Al-Qaeda members were
killed while the rest fled after evacuating their injured," a
ministry statement said.
"The chiefs of the terrorist elements have started to
flee" Loder, the ministry said.
Civilians had hurried out of the southern city in the
restive Abyan province in the wake of an army siege that
followed clashes which began on Friday.
An army search of homes where the militants were
barricaded had found a large stash of weapons, including
rockets and anti-tank weapons, the ministry said.
At least 33 people, among them 11 soldiers, 19
suspected militants and three civilians, have been killed
since the clashes erupted, according to an AFP count based on
official and medical sources.
Authorities said Adel Saleh Hardaba, 27, whom they
described as the Al-Qaeda second-in-command in Loder, was
among the dead.
Witnesses said the fighting had intensified after
Sunday night, when an ultimatum to militants to surrender had
The army had distributed pamphlets urging any
civilians left in Loder, which has a population of 80,000, to
Security officials had told AFP at the weekend that
civilians had mostly fled the city and that "only gunmen are
left." Many of the militants were believed to be foreigners,
notably Saudis and Pakistanis.
South Yemen, and Abyan province in particular, is
feared to have become a base for Al-Qaeda militants to regroup
under the network`s local franchise, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Look who's dining together? Navya SPOTTED with Aryan Khan!
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport
- CHSE Odisha 12th (+2) Arts and Commerce Result 2016 is expected to be declared today on 30th May - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Wow! Indian professionals 'most confident' globally, says a survey