Military action against Iran premature: Dempsey
Washington: US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Martin Dempsey has said that it is "premature" to use military force against Iran over its nuclear program. A conflict with Iran now will be "economically destabilising", he said.
"I do think the path we`re on -- the economic sanctions and the diplomatic pressure -- does seem to me to be having an effect," Dempsey said, adding "I just think that it`s premature to be deciding that the economic and diplomatic approach is inadequate."
"A conflict with Iran would be really destabilising, and I`m not just talking from the security perspective," he said. "It would be economically destabilising," he said in an interview with the National Journal.
The US and its allies are pressuring Iran to engage in talks over its nuclear program. They say it is a cover for making nuclear weapons. Iran has denied the claim.
Dempsey`s remarks came two days after President Barack Obama vowed to keep all options on the table to force Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
"America is determined to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal," the President said in his annual State of the Union address on Tuesday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?