Military action against Iran premature: Dempsey
Washington: US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Martin Dempsey has said that it is "premature" to use military force against Iran over its nuclear program. A conflict with Iran now will be "economically destabilising", he said.
"I do think the path we`re on -- the economic sanctions and the diplomatic pressure -- does seem to me to be having an effect," Dempsey said, adding "I just think that it`s premature to be deciding that the economic and diplomatic approach is inadequate."
"A conflict with Iran would be really destabilising, and I`m not just talking from the security perspective," he said. "It would be economically destabilising," he said in an interview with the National Journal.
The US and its allies are pressuring Iran to engage in talks over its nuclear program. They say it is a cover for making nuclear weapons. Iran has denied the claim.
Dempsey`s remarks came two days after President Barack Obama vowed to keep all options on the table to force Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
"America is determined to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal," the President said in his annual State of the Union address on Tuesday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof