Military action against Iran premature: Dempsey
Washington: US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Martin Dempsey has said that it is "premature" to use military force against Iran over its nuclear program. A conflict with Iran now will be "economically destabilising", he said.
"I do think the path we`re on -- the economic sanctions and the diplomatic pressure -- does seem to me to be having an effect," Dempsey said, adding "I just think that it`s premature to be deciding that the economic and diplomatic approach is inadequate."
"A conflict with Iran would be really destabilising, and I`m not just talking from the security perspective," he said. "It would be economically destabilising," he said in an interview with the National Journal.
The US and its allies are pressuring Iran to engage in talks over its nuclear program. They say it is a cover for making nuclear weapons. Iran has denied the claim.
Dempsey`s remarks came two days after President Barack Obama vowed to keep all options on the table to force Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
"America is determined to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal," the President said in his annual State of the Union address on Tuesday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan