Military hardware drive no threat: China’s defence chief
Beijing: China`s military technology lags decades behind the world`s most advanced armed forces and does not threaten any country, the Chinese defence minister said on Monday after talks with US Defence Secretary Robert Gates. Gates` visit from Sunday to Wednesday comes a week before Chinese President Hu Jintao`s state visit to Washington.
"The efforts that we place on the research and development of weapons systems are by no means targeted at any third country or any other countries in the world, and it will by no means threaten any other country in the world," Chinese Minister of Defence Liang Guanglie told reporters after talks with Gates.
US officials have noted quick advances in China`s anti-ship ballistic missile programme, which could challenge US aircraft carriers. China may also be preparing to launch its first aircraft carrier in 2011, faster than some estimates, and new photos indicate it has a prototype of a stealth fighter jet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis