Military hardware drive no threat: China’s defence chief
Beijing: China`s military technology lags decades behind the world`s most advanced armed forces and does not threaten any country, the Chinese defence minister said on Monday after talks with US Defence Secretary Robert Gates. Gates` visit from Sunday to Wednesday comes a week before Chinese President Hu Jintao`s state visit to Washington.
"The efforts that we place on the research and development of weapons systems are by no means targeted at any third country or any other countries in the world, and it will by no means threaten any other country in the world," Chinese Minister of Defence Liang Guanglie told reporters after talks with Gates.
US officials have noted quick advances in China`s anti-ship ballistic missile programme, which could challenge US aircraft carriers. China may also be preparing to launch its first aircraft carrier in 2011, faster than some estimates, and new photos indicate it has a prototype of a stealth fighter jet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday