Military helicopter crash kills four in Namibia
Windhoek: Four people including a three-year-old boy have died after a military helicopter crashed in north-east Namibia, the defence ministry and military sources said on Saturday.
The helicopter crashed shortly after take-off early yesterday, killing three of the 10 people on board instantly and injuring the toddler, who died later in hospital, military sources said.
All six surviving passengers are being treated for serious injuries.
Defence minister Nahas Angula said the helicopter failed to gain altitude and crashed at the end of the runway and burst into flames.
The minister refused to confirm or deny reports the helicopter was en route to the capital Windhoek to pick him up and take him to an air force graduation ceremony.
"Whether it was going to pick me up or not is irrelevant. The fact is that the helicopter was on official duty," he told AFP.
Angula said an investigation into the accident had been launched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy