Military official says 23 killed in Ivory Coast
Abidjan: A military spokesman in Ivory Coast said the death toll from recent attacks by armed men from Liberia has risen to 23 dead.
A government official said the killings started on Thursday night in an area of southwestern Ivory Coast which borders Liberia. The armed men crossed into Ivory Coast, attacking villagers just across the border, before retreating.
Captain Leon Kouakou Alla confirmed that the death toll rose on Monday from 15 to 23 dead.
The attackers are believed to be militiamen allied with ex-president Laurent Gbagbo who lost last year`s election and was eventually forced out in April following French and United Nations airstrikes.
His supporters fled to neighbouring countries, and a large percentage of them are now housed in refugee camps in Liberia, from where the attackers came.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder