Military official says 23 killed in Ivory Coast
Abidjan: A military spokesman in Ivory Coast said the death toll from recent attacks by armed men from Liberia has risen to 23 dead.
A government official said the killings started on Thursday night in an area of southwestern Ivory Coast which borders Liberia. The armed men crossed into Ivory Coast, attacking villagers just across the border, before retreating.
Captain Leon Kouakou Alla confirmed that the death toll rose on Monday from 15 to 23 dead.
The attackers are believed to be militiamen allied with ex-president Laurent Gbagbo who lost last year`s election and was eventually forced out in April following French and United Nations airstrikes.
His supporters fled to neighbouring countries, and a large percentage of them are now housed in refugee camps in Liberia, from where the attackers came.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what