Military official says 23 killed in Ivory Coast
Abidjan: A military spokesman in Ivory Coast said the death toll from recent attacks by armed men from Liberia has risen to 23 dead.
A government official said the killings started on Thursday night in an area of southwestern Ivory Coast which borders Liberia. The armed men crossed into Ivory Coast, attacking villagers just across the border, before retreating.
Captain Leon Kouakou Alla confirmed that the death toll rose on Monday from 15 to 23 dead.
The attackers are believed to be militiamen allied with ex-president Laurent Gbagbo who lost last year`s election and was eventually forced out in April following French and United Nations airstrikes.
His supporters fled to neighbouring countries, and a large percentage of them are now housed in refugee camps in Liberia, from where the attackers came.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'