Military official says 23 killed in Ivory Coast

Last Updated: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 20:54

Abidjan: A military spokesman in Ivory Coast said the death toll from recent attacks by armed men from Liberia has risen to 23 dead.

A government official said the killings started on Thursday night in an area of southwestern Ivory Coast which borders Liberia. The armed men crossed into Ivory Coast, attacking villagers just across the border, before retreating.

Captain Leon Kouakou Alla confirmed that the death toll rose on Monday from 15 to 23 dead.

The attackers are believed to be militiamen allied with ex-president Laurent Gbagbo who lost last year`s election and was eventually forced out in April following French and United Nations airstrikes.

His supporters fled to neighbouring countries, and a large percentage of them are now housed in refugee camps in Liberia, from where the attackers came.

Bureau Report



First Published: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 20:54
TAGS:

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus