Military overburdened in Iraq, Afghanistan: Obama
Racine: President Barack Obama says US troops are carrying too much of the burden in Iraq and Afghanistan and doing too many things that are more appropriate for civilians, such as building schools and setting up justice systems.
Obama says the problem is that the US doesn`t have a civilian effort as large as the military.
He wants to change that by building up a "civilian expeditionary force" that can go into an area once the US military deems it safe to do the work of building roads, bridges and schools and setting up civil societies.
Obama said that`s one reason he`s increased military pay while holding the line on domestic spending.
Obama commented on Wednesday during a town hall meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II