Military sexual assaults on rise: Pentagon report
Washington: The US Department of Defense has released a report that saw a sharp rise in sexual assaults in the military, highlighting a pandemic the Pentagon is scrambling to stamp out.
According to the report, an estimated 26,000 people in the military were sexually assaulted in the 2012 fiscal year, up from 19,000 in the previous fiscal year.
However, the military recorded only 3,374 sexual assault reports last year, up from 3,192 in 2011, as many victims chose not to report the crimes for fear of retribution or a lack of justice under the military justice system, reported Xinhua.
The report Tuesday came two days after an officer in charge of sexual assault prevention programs for the US Air Force was arrested and charged with sexual battery.
The problem was condemned by political heavyweights in Washington. President Barack Obama, asked about the new numbers during a news conference Tuesday, angrily condemned the problem.
"I have no tolerance for this," said Obama. "If we find out somebody`s engaging in this stuff, they`ve got to be held accountable, prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court- martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged, period."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview