Military sexual assaults on rise: Pentagon report
Washington: The US Department of Defense has released a report that saw a sharp rise in sexual assaults in the military, highlighting a pandemic the Pentagon is scrambling to stamp out.
According to the report, an estimated 26,000 people in the military were sexually assaulted in the 2012 fiscal year, up from 19,000 in the previous fiscal year.
However, the military recorded only 3,374 sexual assault reports last year, up from 3,192 in 2011, as many victims chose not to report the crimes for fear of retribution or a lack of justice under the military justice system, reported Xinhua.
The report Tuesday came two days after an officer in charge of sexual assault prevention programs for the US Air Force was arrested and charged with sexual battery.
The problem was condemned by political heavyweights in Washington. President Barack Obama, asked about the new numbers during a news conference Tuesday, angrily condemned the problem.
"I have no tolerance for this," said Obama. "If we find out somebody`s engaging in this stuff, they`ve got to be held accountable, prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court- martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged, period."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues