Military tanks deployed in Rio de Janeiro crime crackdown
Rio De Janeiro: Military tanks rolled
into the Vila Cruzeiro slum in northern Rio de Janeiro on Thursday
supporting a police crackdown on drug gangs, an AFP journalist
on the scene reported.
At least 23 people have been killed in five days of
clashes as Brazilian security forces seek to crush the gangs
and impose the law in the violent slums, known here as
Police have deployed armoured vehicles, helicopters
and thousands of heavily armed agents for the widespread
However the first time since 2007, when the government
focused on improving security in the favelas, that tanks have
been deployed for such operations.
Six tanks entered the Vila Cruzeiro favela, where
police say the drug gangs have taken refuge after they were
forced out of 13 other slums, the AFP journalist said.
The gangs are fighting back by opening fire on police
stations and setting cars and busses ablaze, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends