Military tanks deployed in Rio de Janeiro crime crackdown
Rio De Janeiro: Military tanks rolled
into the Vila Cruzeiro slum in northern Rio de Janeiro on Thursday
supporting a police crackdown on drug gangs, an AFP journalist
on the scene reported.
At least 23 people have been killed in five days of
clashes as Brazilian security forces seek to crush the gangs
and impose the law in the violent slums, known here as
Police have deployed armoured vehicles, helicopters
and thousands of heavily armed agents for the widespread
However the first time since 2007, when the government
focused on improving security in the favelas, that tanks have
been deployed for such operations.
Six tanks entered the Vila Cruzeiro favela, where
police say the drug gangs have taken refuge after they were
forced out of 13 other slums, the AFP journalist said.
The gangs are fighting back by opening fire on police
stations and setting cars and busses ablaze, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi