Military tanks deployed in Rio de Janeiro crime crackdown
Rio De Janeiro: Military tanks rolled
into the Vila Cruzeiro slum in northern Rio de Janeiro on Thursday
supporting a police crackdown on drug gangs, an AFP journalist
on the scene reported.
At least 23 people have been killed in five days of
clashes as Brazilian security forces seek to crush the gangs
and impose the law in the violent slums, known here as
Police have deployed armoured vehicles, helicopters
and thousands of heavily armed agents for the widespread
However the first time since 2007, when the government
focused on improving security in the favelas, that tanks have
been deployed for such operations.
Six tanks entered the Vila Cruzeiro favela, where
police say the drug gangs have taken refuge after they were
forced out of 13 other slums, the AFP journalist said.
The gangs are fighting back by opening fire on police
stations and setting cars and busses ablaze, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video