Military tanks deployed in Rio de Janeiro crime crackdown
Rio De Janeiro: Military tanks rolled
into the Vila Cruzeiro slum in northern Rio de Janeiro on Thursday
supporting a police crackdown on drug gangs, an AFP journalist
on the scene reported.
At least 23 people have been killed in five days of
clashes as Brazilian security forces seek to crush the gangs
and impose the law in the violent slums, known here as
Police have deployed armoured vehicles, helicopters
and thousands of heavily armed agents for the widespread
However the first time since 2007, when the government
focused on improving security in the favelas, that tanks have
been deployed for such operations.
Six tanks entered the Vila Cruzeiro favela, where
police say the drug gangs have taken refuge after they were
forced out of 13 other slums, the AFP journalist said.
The gangs are fighting back by opening fire on police
stations and setting cars and busses ablaze, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka