Military-type drones with face recognition soon in NYC
New York: New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg has said that military-style drones will soon be patrolling the skies above the city, adding that face-recognition software will also monitor each and every move of the denizens in the style of the 2002 Tom Cruise starrer Minority Report.
Putting the timeframe for an all-seeing society at about five years with cameras situated at every place, Bloomberg said that the city is going to have more visibility although the residents have to pay for an increase in security with a lack of privacy.
Bloomberg further said that technicians are also working on building face recognition software for the city’s residents.
Adding that drones are necessary to stop suspected attacks on the city, the mayor said that it makes no difference if a drone is spying from the air or from the top of a building.
The mayor warned people to get ready to be automatically spied upon ‘Big Brother’ style, adding that in the instances of robberies or murders in a neighbourhood, the police first checks the security cameras before embarking on an investigation.
The mayor also approved of speed cameras to motorists from going too fast on city streets. Minority Report, set primarily in Washington, DC, and Northern Virginia in the year 2054, shows a specialized police department called PreCrime that apprehends criminals based on foreknowledge, along with a face recognition software, provided by three psychics called precogs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra