Militia attacks train carrying south Sudanese: UN
Khartoum: Misseriya Arab militiamen on Sunday carried out a deadly attack on a train carrying south Sudanese home, just two weeks before their region celebrates full independence from the north, the UN said.
"A train transporting southern returnees from Kosti to Wau was attacked by a Misseriya militia this morning in the area of Meiram, around 50 kilometres (30 miles) south of Muglad," Hua Jiang, a spokeswoman for the UN peacekeeping mission in Sudan, said.
One person was killed and four wounded in the raid, Jiang said.
Meiram lies in north Sudan`s embattled state of South Kordofan, just next to Darfur and the tense Abyei border region, while Muglad is the historical capital of the Misseriya tribe.
The heavily armed Arab nomads were a key proxy militia of Khartoum`s army during its 1983-2005 conflict with the former southern rebel army, the SPLA.
One of the tribe`s chiefs, Omar al-Ansari, confirmed the train attack had happened in a Misseriya area, but denied that his people were responsible.
"The train faced technical problems in a place called Hierika, close to South Darfur, and that was when a group of Darfur rebels attacked it and grabbed some belongings from the passengers," Ansari told AFP by phone.
He said no one was killed.
Tensions are running high between north and south Sudan in the run-up to the south`s formal declaration of independence on July 9, driven by conflict in the border areas of Abyei and South Kordofan, and exacerbated by the lack of progress in negotiating key unresolved issues.
Northern troops overran Abyei last month in response to a deadly attack on an army convoy, prompting more than 100,000 residents to flee south, and with the Misseriya reportedly moving in with Sudanese soldiers to fill the vacuum.
Around two weeks later, on June 5, another conflict erupted between the northern army and fighters aligned to the south, in neighbouring South Kordofan, where the United Nations said on Sunday that civilians were among the victims of the latest air strikes on rebel positions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced