Millions in NY to suffer massive power outage for 10 days more
New York: Millions of people across the New York region will have to remain without power for nearly 10 days or even longer as superstorm Sandy wreaked havoc on the city, bringing down power lines.
Beleaguered utility companies said that Manhattan and Brooklyn residents served by underground wires can count themselves lucky as their power will be back in about four more days.
Among those who’ll wait longer are about 300,000 people in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx who are served by overhead power lines, which were blasted to smithereens by Sandy’s winds.
According to the New York Post, Con Ed and other utilities in the region have issued a nationwide call for help.
“Sandy is the largest storm-related outage in Con Ed history. Crews are working around the clock to access damage and restore power,” the company said.
In New Jersey, more than 2.5 million electric customers, 62 percent of the state, are without power, the US Department of Energy reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Sidharth Malhotra bats for Sonakshi Sinha's 'Akira'- Watch cutest promotion video!
- Cristiano Ronaldo reveals desire to end career at Real Madrid at the age of 41
- Get free voice, video call and 4G internet for 90 days on Reliance Jio
- Soha Ali Khan's weekend getaway will surely tempt you!- See pic
- DGCA to soon ban taking selfies on planes!