Minister insists Iran has no desire to develop atomic bomb
Tehran: Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi on Saturday renewed Iran`s insistence that it has no ambitions to develop an atomic bomb as world powers sought urgent talks on its latest proposals to allay concerns.
"We regard production of weapons of mass destruction as contrary to our religious, human and national principles," the Fars news agency quoted Vahidi as saying.
"Manufacturing nuclear weapons is not, and has never been, on our agenda."
Vahidi is wanted by Argentina in connection with a deadly 1994 bombing against a Jewish centre in Buenos Aires but was unanimously approved as defence minister in a vote of confidence in Parliament last week.
His comments came as six world powers - Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States – considered new proposals handed over by Iran on Wednesday to delay Western concerns about the real purpose of its nuclear programme.
Washington has already expressed disappointment with the proposals. "It is not really responsive to our greatest concern," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, Philip Crowley, told reporters on Thursday.
The UN Security Council has given Iran repeated ultimatums to suspend uranium enrichment, the process which produces nuclear fuel or, in highly extended form, the fissile core of an atomic bomb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj