Minority interests will not be sidelined, says Malaysian PM
Kuala Lumpur: The interests of
minorities in the country will not be sidelined in the
government`s efforts to build a progressive and competitive
Malaysian society, said Najib Razak.
The Prime Minister said all ethnic groups no matter
whether their numbers were big or small, including the Sikhs,
needed to cooperate and become a partner of the government to
ensure their interests continue to be protected.
"This (being a partner) is the best way for the Sikh
community to work with the government towards realising the 1
Malaysia vision. I believe Malaysia will become more
successful and prosperous (by doing this)," he said when
opening the 1 Malaysia Vaisakhi celebration at Dataran Merdeka
(Merdeka Square) here yesterday.
Some 20,000 people, including foreign tourists,
attended the celebration organised by the Malaysian Sikh Youth
Organisation in conjunction with the Sikh new year (Vaisakhi).
Also present were the Prime Minister`s wife Rosmah
Mansor and Minister in the Prime Minister`s Department Dr Koh
Najib said as a result of the close cooperation
between the government and the Sikh community, the government
had also approved three plots of land for the building of
gurdwaras (Sikh temples) in Kuala Lumpur.
The many Punjabi classes conducted in the country had
also helped produce excellent results in the Penilaian
Menengah Rendah (PMR) examination, he said.
"This is an example of a smart-partnership with the
government. We can build a better future for all of us by
working together.I am confident that the Sikh community will
merge together hand in hand with the Malaysian government and
with various ethnic groups so that together we will transform
Malaysia to become a developed nation by 2020," he said.
Najib also paid tribute to the Sikh community for its
sacrifices in defending the sovereignty of the country from
"The values of truthfulness, loyalty and hard work are
hallmarks of the Sikh community. I thank them for their
enormous contribution in the formation of this country. Thank
you for your dedicated service in the armed forces and the
Police," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22