Missing US soldier found dead in Afghanistan
One of two US soldiers missing in Afghanistan since last week has been found dead by NATO forces, who are continuing to look for the other soldier who is believed to have been kidnapped by the Taliban.
New York: One of two US soldiers missing
in Afghanistan since last week has been found dead by NATO
forces, who are continuing to look for the other soldier who
is believed to have been kidnapped by the Taliban.
The two soldiers were last seen on Friday and they did
not return after leaving their compound in Kabul.
"Afghan and coalition forces recovered the remains of
a missing ISAF service member Sunday in eastern Afghanistan
after an extensive search," NATO said in statement.
"Afghan and coalition forces launched an extensive
search-and-recovery operation when two service members failed
to report to their destination Friday," it added.
The statement said NATO will continue its effort until
the soldier is recovered.
The two men were in armoured cars and reportedly took
the wrong turn, which left them in the dangerous Logar
province south of the Afghan capital, which is controlled by
Samer Gul, district chief of Charkh district in Logar
province, said that a guard tried to flag down the vehicle,
carrying a driver and a passenger, but it kept going, news
agencies on the ground had reported shortly after the attack.
On Sunday, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said
the two US servicemen had got into a skirmish with the
insurgents after driving into their area.
The Los Angeles Times reported that Justin McNeley
from California had been identified as the dead soldier.
Bowe Bergdahl is the only US soldier known to be in
captivity of the Taliban. He disappeared in June 2009 in
Paktika province of eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban have posted videos of him of its website
confirming his captivity.