Mitt Romney lands in controversy with `birther` joke
Washington: A `birther` joke has landed presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney in a controversy with a not so amused Obama camp accusing him of embracing the party`s fringe "birthers".
It all started at a Friday campaign rally in Michigan, the state where Romney was born, where he said, "Ann (his wife) was born at Henry Ford hospital, I was born at Harper hospital."
"No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised."
He did not name President Barack Obama, but the reference was unmistakable as a fringe of conservative Republicans, known as "birthers", continues to insist that Obama was not born in the US.
As the `joke` stoked controversy, Romney insisted in a CBS interview that it was "no, no, not a swipe" against Obama.
"I`ve said throughout the campaign that and before, there`s no question about where he was born," he said. "He was born in the US. This was fun about us and coming home, and humour - you know, we`ve got to have a little humour in the campaign as well."
But Obama`s campaign was not amused.
"Throughout this campaign, Governor Romney has embraced the most strident voices in his party instead of standing up to them," spokesman Ben LaBolt said in a statement.
"It`s one thing to give the stage in Tampa to Donald Trump, Sheriff Arpaio, and Kris Kobach. But Governor Romney`s decision to directly enlist himself in the birther movement should give pause to any rational voter across America."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report