Mo Yan calls for release of jailed compatriot Liu Xiaobo
Beijing: Trying to shake off his pro-Communist image, Chinese author Mo Yan, who won Nobel Prize for Literature, on Friday called for the release of jailed compatriot Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo.
"I hope he can achieve his freedom as soon as possible," said Mo 57, a former PLA soldier, who surprised the media by stating that he would work for the release of dissident Liu who is confined to prison even after he was awarded 2010 Nobel Peace Prize.
Mo, whose pen name means "don`t speak" spoke to the media in his home Gaomi in Shandong province.
Mo`s comments came as he was criticised in China for not speaking for the release Liu who was imprisoned for waging a pro-democracy struggle.
Refuting critics Mo, whose real name is Guan Moye said "I believe that the people who have criticised me have not read my books. If they had read my books they would understand that my writings at that time took on a great deal of risk and were under pressure".
The author said he was criticised even by the members of the ruling Communist Party.
"They also work within the system. And some have benefited tremendously within the system...I am working in China. I am writing in a China under Communist Party leaders. But my works cannot be restricted by political parties," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015