Model`s caning issue: Pahang Sultan to seek legal advice
Kuala Lumpur: The Sultan of Malaysia`s
Pahang state has said he would seek legal advice on the caning
punishment imposed on a Muslim woman model for drinking beer,
before deciding whether to give her a pardon.
Thirty-three-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno was
fined Rs 60,000 and ordered to be caned last year by the
Kuantan Shariah court after she pleaded guilty to consuming
alcohol which is forbidden by Islam.
Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang said he had not received any
appeal from Kartika, a part-time model, against her
punishment, media reports said here today.
The Sultan, who had the prerogative to forgive Kartika
even if she had not filed an appeal, said he would seek legal
advice before deciding whether to give her a pardon, they
Kartika has paid the fine but refused to appeal
against the caning sentence which has been postponed several
On March 3, she had an audience with the Pahang Islamic
Religious Affairs and Malay Customs Council President, Tengku
Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.
Tengku Abdullah had said then that he would present her
case to the Sultan, adding that under Section 133 of
the Pahang Shariah Criminal Procedure Code Enactment 2002,
Sultan Ahmad Shah had the prerogative to pardon Kartika
although she had not filed an appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi