Model`s caning issue: Pahang Sultan to seek legal advice
Kuala Lumpur: The Sultan of Malaysia`s
Pahang state has said he would seek legal advice on the caning
punishment imposed on a Muslim woman model for drinking beer,
before deciding whether to give her a pardon.
Thirty-three-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno was
fined Rs 60,000 and ordered to be caned last year by the
Kuantan Shariah court after she pleaded guilty to consuming
alcohol which is forbidden by Islam.
Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang said he had not received any
appeal from Kartika, a part-time model, against her
punishment, media reports said here today.
The Sultan, who had the prerogative to forgive Kartika
even if she had not filed an appeal, said he would seek legal
advice before deciding whether to give her a pardon, they
Kartika has paid the fine but refused to appeal
against the caning sentence which has been postponed several
On March 3, she had an audience with the Pahang Islamic
Religious Affairs and Malay Customs Council President, Tengku
Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.
Tengku Abdullah had said then that he would present her
case to the Sultan, adding that under Section 133 of
the Pahang Shariah Criminal Procedure Code Enactment 2002,
Sultan Ahmad Shah had the prerogative to pardon Kartika
although she had not filed an appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery