Model`s caning issue: Pahang Sultan to seek legal advice
Kuala Lumpur: The Sultan of Malaysia`s
Pahang state has said he would seek legal advice on the caning
punishment imposed on a Muslim woman model for drinking beer,
before deciding whether to give her a pardon.
Thirty-three-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno was
fined Rs 60,000 and ordered to be caned last year by the
Kuantan Shariah court after she pleaded guilty to consuming
alcohol which is forbidden by Islam.
Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang said he had not received any
appeal from Kartika, a part-time model, against her
punishment, media reports said here today.
The Sultan, who had the prerogative to forgive Kartika
even if she had not filed an appeal, said he would seek legal
advice before deciding whether to give her a pardon, they
Kartika has paid the fine but refused to appeal
against the caning sentence which has been postponed several
On March 3, she had an audience with the Pahang Islamic
Religious Affairs and Malay Customs Council President, Tengku
Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.
Tengku Abdullah had said then that he would present her
case to the Sultan, adding that under Section 133 of
the Pahang Shariah Criminal Procedure Code Enactment 2002,
Sultan Ahmad Shah had the prerogative to pardon Kartika
although she had not filed an appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat