Model`s caning issue: Pahang Sultan to seek legal advice
Kuala Lumpur: The Sultan of Malaysia`s
Pahang state has said he would seek legal advice on the caning
punishment imposed on a Muslim woman model for drinking beer,
before deciding whether to give her a pardon.
Thirty-three-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno was
fined Rs 60,000 and ordered to be caned last year by the
Kuantan Shariah court after she pleaded guilty to consuming
alcohol which is forbidden by Islam.
Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang said he had not received any
appeal from Kartika, a part-time model, against her
punishment, media reports said here today.
The Sultan, who had the prerogative to forgive Kartika
even if she had not filed an appeal, said he would seek legal
advice before deciding whether to give her a pardon, they
Kartika has paid the fine but refused to appeal
against the caning sentence which has been postponed several
On March 3, she had an audience with the Pahang Islamic
Religious Affairs and Malay Customs Council President, Tengku
Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.
Tengku Abdullah had said then that he would present her
case to the Sultan, adding that under Section 133 of
the Pahang Shariah Criminal Procedure Code Enactment 2002,
Sultan Ahmad Shah had the prerogative to pardon Kartika
although she had not filed an appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA