Moderate earthquake shakes central California
Salinas: A moderate earthquake was widely felt as it rattled the central California coast, but authorities said it didn`t cause any damage.
Nearly 6,700 people reported on the US Geological Survey website that they felt the magnitude 5.3 quake when it struck late Saturday outside of King City, the federal agency said.
USGS geophysicist Don Blakeman said the temblor struck in a "seismically active area" near the San Andreas Fault, about 145 kilometres southeast of San Jose. It was followed by at least four aftershocks that were greater than magnitude 2.5.
The sheriff departments for Monterey and nearby San Luis Obispo counties said they received calls about the earthquake but didn`t receive any reports of damage.
A magnitude 5 quake is capable of causing damage most often knocking things off shelves and making moderate cracks in walls and foundations, the USGS said.
The area, where the quake hit, is a mostly rural area of rolling hills with large farms and ranches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3