Moderate quake in China`s Xinjiang damages houses
Beijing: No casualties were reported in the 5.5-magnitude earthquake which hit northwest China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Monday, though a number of houses were damaged due to it, reports in the state-run media said.
The quake, which struck Ruoqiang County in the Mongolian Autonomous Prefecture of Bayingolin at 1:33 pm (local time), damaged some houses in the county`s Lop Nur Township, according to Liu Wenchun, secretary of the township committee of the Communist Party of China.
"Although the quake was strongly felt in the township, no casualties have been reported so far," Liu told state-run Xinhua news agency.
He said workers with the township government are inspecting the damage to the houses.
Lop Nur is believed to be the nearest residential area to the epicentre of the quake, which was located at 40.4 degrees north latitude and 90.5 degrees east longitude at a depth of 8 km.
The township, covering an area of 52,000 square kilometres with a population of just over 1,000, is located in northeastern Ruoqian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read