Moderate quake in China`s Xinjiang damages houses
Beijing: No casualties were reported in the 5.5-magnitude earthquake which hit northwest China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Monday, though a number of houses were damaged due to it, reports in the state-run media said.
The quake, which struck Ruoqiang County in the Mongolian Autonomous Prefecture of Bayingolin at 1:33 pm (local time), damaged some houses in the county`s Lop Nur Township, according to Liu Wenchun, secretary of the township committee of the Communist Party of China.
"Although the quake was strongly felt in the township, no casualties have been reported so far," Liu told state-run Xinhua news agency.
He said workers with the township government are inspecting the damage to the houses.
Lop Nur is believed to be the nearest residential area to the epicentre of the quake, which was located at 40.4 degrees north latitude and 90.5 degrees east longitude at a depth of 8 km.
The township, covering an area of 52,000 square kilometres with a population of just over 1,000, is located in northeastern Ruoqian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!