Moderate quake shakes Chinese city, no casualty reported
Beijing: A 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck Hunchun city in north-east China`s Jilin Province in the early hours on Wednesday.
No casualties or damage was reported so far, local officials said.
The quake hit the city at 4:17 AM local time with its epicentre at a depth of 539 km, the China Earthquake Networks Centre said.
Most people in the city slept through the quake, state-run Xinhua news agency said.
An official from the earthquake bureau in Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture said the quake was deep-focused and would not be felt or cause damage.
Huichun is on the only deep-focus earthquake belt on China`s mainland.
Quakes in this region generally have a focus depth of more than 500 km. Only earthquakes occurring at a depth of less than 70 km are considered "shallow", officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what