‘Moderate Republican’ Obama brushes off ‘socialist` tag
Washington: US President Barack Obama has brushed aside concerns that he favors socialism, saying his policies are so mainstream that he would have been considered a moderate Republican in the 1980s.
During an interview by Noticias Univision 23 in Miami, Obama was asked for his view on the fact that ‘most Cuban-Americans are worried that he favours a socialist model for the country’.
“I don`t know that there are a lot of Cubans or Venezuelans, Americans who believe that. The truth of the matter is that my policies are so mainstream that if I had set the same policies that I had back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican,” Politico quoted Obama, as saying.
“I mean, what I believe in is a tax system that is fair. I don`t think government can solve every problem. I think that we should make sure that we`re helping young people go to school,” he said during the interview.
“We should make sure that our government is building good roads and bridges and hospitals and airports so that we have a good infrastructure. I do believe that it makes sense that everyone in America, as rich as this country is, shouldn`t go bankrupt because someone gets sick, so the things I believe in are essentially the same things your viewers believe in,” he added.
According to the report, Obama has been dogged by critics who say that his policies, the stimulus, the bailouts, the health care law, the proposed tax hikes on the rich, bear the hallmarks of socialism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what