Moderation, tolerance can overcome voices of extremism: Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur: Acknowledging the power of moderation and tolerance in Indians, Malaysia on Monday said the two qualities are vital for progress and can overcome the voices of extremism.
Lauding the long centuries of Indian tradition in moderation and tolerance, Koh Tsu Koon, Malaysian minister in Prime Minister`s Department said, "Malaysian experience over the last five centuries too had proved that moderation and tolerance were vital for progress".
"If moderates speak out more often, the voices of moderation can overcome the voices of extremism," the minister said while inaugurating a round table on "peaceful co-existence: the Indian experience in moderation" organised by Global Movement for Moderates Foundation (GMMF) here.
"Every country has its story...Every country has its challenges. Through mutual appreciation we can definitely create a better world," he said.
"We want to seek progress through dialogue and not through bullet", he said.
Koon said the problem is not with religion but with wrong interpretations and manipulations of religions.
Moderates of the world must work together to push out extremists of the world. This could be achieved through purposeful and constructive engagement of leaders and common people as repeatedly underscored by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, Koon said.
Noted historian from India and former vice-chancellor of Calicut University, Dr KKN Kururp said national cultures also play an important role in promoting moderation and tolerance as proved by India over the last several centuries.
Khalek Awaang, president GMMF was among those present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days