Modernised submarine Karelia begins at-sea testing
Arkhangelsk: The strategic submarine
K-18 Karelia of the Russian Northern Fleet has begun at-sea
testing after upgrading at the Zvyozdochka ship repair centre
The submarine will be handed over to the Navy and moved to
its permanent base in the Arctic before the end of the year,
the plant press service said.
The Karelia was relaunched after repairs in November 2008.
Its service life has been extended by another ten years.
According to the Zvyozdochka press service, about 100
improvements were made to the Karelia. It is armed with new
RSM-54 Sineva missiles that were put into service in July
The Karelia was built at the Sevmash shipyard in
Severodvinsk and handed over to the Russian Navy in 1989.
In 1994, the submarine made a trip to the North Pole where
the national flag and the Navy flag were hoisted for the first
time in the history of the Russian Navy.
President Vladimir Putin was sailed aboard the submarine
in April 2000 and was initiated as a submariner in a ceremony
during the trip.
The Karelia was placed at the Zvyozdochka shipyard in
November 2006. Before that, four nuclear-powered submarines of
the same project -- the Verkhoturye, the Yekaterinburg, the
Tula, and the Bryansk - had undergone repairs there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand