Mogadishu hotel attack: 6 MPs among 32 dead
Mogadishu: Islamist militants shot dead
30 people, including six members of parliament, in a suicide
attack on a Mogadishu hotel today, Somalia`s deputy Prime
The two militants from the Shebab insurgency disguised
as government security forces then blew themselves up to avoid
arrest after the attack on the hotel which was crowded with
"Thirty people died in this ambush. Six of them are
members of the Somali parliament and four are Somali
government civil servants," Abdirahman Haji Adan Ibbi told
reporters after the deadly rampage at Hotel Mona.
"The 20 others are innocent civilians who died in this
horrible incident," he added.
An official and witnesses said to a news reporter on the
scene that two fighters from Shebab disguised as government
security forces smuggled themselves into the hotel and sprayed
gunfire on its occupants.
"They detonated the suicide vests they were wearing
when our forces surrounded the hotel," he said on condition of
The bold attack was the deadliest of its kind against
high-ranking officials from the Western-backed transitional
federal government since the al Qaeda-inspired Shebab launched
an offensive to conquer Mogadishu last year.
"They have no motive other than to terrorise the
Somali people. This is a deplorable act in this holy month of
Ramadan. It shows their brutality and lack of respect for
humanity," Information Minister Abdirahman Omar Osman Yarisow
said in a statement.
Parliament speaker Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden condemned
the attack when he spoke to a news agency from Nairobi.
"We condemn this terrorist attack against the Mona
hotel, in which a large number of MPs were staying," he said.
"This is the work of the Shebab, who are committed to
disrupting the efforts of the transitional federal government
which is pacifying the country," Sheikh Aden said.
"These terrorists acts will not stop."
The African Union mission in Somalia, whose more than
6,000 troops deployed in Mogadishu protect the TFG and support
its military operations against the insurgency also condemned
"It is unfortunate that those opposed to the peace
process continue to kill innocent civilians even during the
fasting month of Ramadan which is one of the key pillars of
the Islamic faith which they claim to profess," a statement
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!