Mohamed ElBaradei named caretaker Egyptian PM
Cairo: Leading liberal opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei has been named as Egypt`s new prime minister to head a caretaker government, his allies and the anti-Morsi Tamarod movement said on Saturday.
Mena state news agency says ElBaradei met interim President Adly Mahmud Mansour, three days after the army removed Islamist leader Mohammed Morsi amid growing nationwide unrest.
The move has in turn triggered mass unrest by supporters of Morsi.
71-year-old ElBaradei is a former head of the UN nuclear watchdog.
He and other party leaders attended a meeting called by Mansour today.
ElBaradei leads an alliance of liberal and left-wing parties, the National Salvation Front.
A spokesman for the front told AP news agency that Mansour would swear him in as prime minister this evening, the BBC reported.
In an interview on Thursday, ElBaradei defended the army`s intervention, saying: "We were between a rock and a hard place."
"It is a painful measure, nobody wanted that," he said. "But Mr Morsi unfortunately undermined his own legitimacy by declaring himself a few months ago as a pharaoh and then we got into a fist fight, and not a democratic process."
More than 30 people died and hundreds were wounded in yesterday`s protests by Islamist supporters of the deposed president.
Huge crowds have demonstrated again in Cairo today to demand his reinstatement.
Meanwhile opponents of Morsi have called for demonstrations against the Muslim Brotherhood, to which he belongs, tomorrow.
Morsi is in detention, along with some senior Brotherhood figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- David Cameron's successor - Britain's next Prime Minister: Who, how and when?
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics