`Mohamed ElBaradei not confirmed as Egypt PM`
Cairo: Egypt`s new presidential media adviser late Saturday denied the media reports stating opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei had been appointed the country`s interim prime minister, reported state-run MENA news agency.
"Until now, President Adli Mansour has not officially assigned ElBaradei or anyone else to form the new government," reported Xinhua citing Ahmed al-Mislimani, who has just taken up the post of presidential media adviser.
Mislimani said discussions were still going on about the nomination for interim prime minister, noting that the transitional government has to be "a crisis-management government" at the current critical stage.
He also said there was no specific date for announcing the government formation and its leader, while denying "the media leaks" about ElBaradei`s appointment.
The latest statement came after reports saying that ElBaradei, leader of the opposition bloc, the National Salvation Front, had been officially chosen as the country`s interim prime minister.
After those reports, Salafist Al-Nour Party also rejected the appointment of ElBaradei, stating it would deepen the state`s "polarisation".
ElBaradei has served as the head of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and jointly won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2005.
The prime minister`s post has fallen vacant after Mohamed Morsi, the country`s president and first freely-elected leader, was ousted by army Wednesday along with his government being led by prime minister Hesham Qandil.
On Friday, at least 35 were killed and over 1,400 injured in clashes between Morsi`s opponents and Islamist proponents in Cairo and other governorates across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers