Mohammed Morsi: From engineering to Presidency
Cairo: An engineer turned politician, Mohammed Morsi has come a long way to become the first freely elected President of Egypt that saw its strongman Hosni Mubarak being ousted in what is now famously called Arab Spring.
Although, not their first choice as a presidential candidate, the powerful Muslim Brotherhood threw its weight behind Mursi, 60, the chairman of its Freedom and Justice Party (FJP).
A champion of Brotherhood`s famous slogan - "Islam is the solution" - Mursi describes its policies as having "a moderate Islamic reference".
A more quietly-spoken man, Mursi got the support of Brotherhood`s grassroots network and what is often referred to as an highly organised campaign team.
Th famous quote that sums up Mursi`s campaign is "The presidency will be an institution... The Superman era is over".
His campaign was about bringing "stability security, justice and prosperity".
He rose to the top position in Egypt by craftly positioning himself as the challenger to the Mubarak`s old guard.
Keen to ward off any accusations of being a hardliner, Mursi has suggested he would appoint Coptic Christians among his presidential advisers and that an Islamic dress code would not be enforced. He was among the guests at this year`s Coptic Christmas Eve mass.
Mursi hails from a village in the Nile Delta province of Sharqiya and is married with four children.
He has studied Engineering at Cairo University in the 1970s and later moved to US to complete a PhD.
After returning to Egypt he became head of the engineering department at Zagazig University and rose in the ranks of the Muslim Brotherhood and joined its Guidance Bureau.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof