Moms the worst child abusers in Malaysia

Last Updated: Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 17:22

Kuala Lumpur: In a shocking find, a new study in Malaysia has confirmed that mothers were the worst child abusers in the country.

The statistics from the past three years have revealed that most child abusers were parents themselves and in particular, mothers, the deputy minister for Women, Family and Community Development, Heng Seai Kie said.

"Mothers make up 25.4 per cent of perpetrators in child abuse cases while 18.9 per cent are fathers. Together, parents comprise 44.3 per cent of child abusers in incidents recorded nationwide last year," she told the third national conference of the Association of Registered Child Care Providers Malaysia here yesterday.

Heng said the third largest number of child abusers at 11 per cent of the total number of cases were the lovers of teenage victims.

Children are defined by the ministry as those aged below 18.


First Published: Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 17:05

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus