Monaco heiress`s son-in-law behind her murder: French prosecutor
Paris: The son-in-law of a Monaco real estate heiress who was shot dead in a Mafia-style killing paid hitmen to murder her, a French prosecutor said Friday.
Wojciech Janowski, 64, was behind Helene Pastor`s murder last month, a prosecutor in the southern city of Marseille said, adding that Janowski had spent 200,000 euros ($272,000) on the contract killing.
He said Janowski and six others were charged with the May 6 attack on the 77-year-old Helene Pastor as she was leaving a hospital in the French Riviera city of Nice. The property heiress was shot several times with a sawn-off shotgun.
Her driver Mohammed Darwich also died from injuries sustained in the brazen attack.
Janowski`s 53-year-old partner Sylvia, Pastor`s eldest daughter, was also detained for questioning but released on Thursday without charge.
Brice said she felt "betrayed" by Janowski.
Helene Pastor had inherited a huge real estate and construction business set up by her Italian grandfather Jean-Baptiste Pastor, a stone mason who moved to Monaco in 1880.
As the sleepy principality in the French Riviera slowly grew into a playground for the world`s rich and famous, the family`s fortune skyrocketed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa