Monti pledged not to run for office: Berlusconi
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, November 20, 2011, 21:26
  
Rome: Media baron Silvio Berlusconi says his party has asked Premier Mario Monti not to run for office in 2013, ahead of the economist being tapped to lead the government beyond its present term.

Monti replaced Berlusconi as premier last week after the markets pounded Italy, threatening it with financial disaster.

He needs the support of Berlusconi's conservatives, the largest party in Parliament, to implement tough economic reforms.

Berlusconi said in an interview in Corriere della Sera newspaper Sunday that Monti had been asked to pledge not to run.

Monti on Friday indicated he had no intention of running, telling reporters he had never been a candidate for anything in his life.

Berlusconi also reiterated he won't support any wealth tax sought by Monti's government.

PTI


First Published: Sunday, November 20, 2011, 21:26


comments powered by Disqus