More BBC staff probed on sex claims post-Savile
London: A sexual abuse scandal shaking the BBC broadened on Tuesday, with the broadcaster`s chief saying the corporation was investigating claims of abuse and harassment against as many as 10 former and current staff.
The BBC has been rocked by allegations that longtime children`s host Jimmy Savile, who died last year, abused underage teens over several decades, sometimes on BBC premises.
Some of the alleged victims have accused other entertainers and BBC staff of participating in abuse during the 1960s, 70s and 80s.
Director-general George Entwistle told British lawmakers today that the BBC is looking into historical allegations of sexual abuse or harassment against "between eight and 10" past and present employees.
Separately, the BBC press office said it was aware of "nine allegations of sexual harassment, assault or inappropriate conduct" involving current staff or contributors to the BBC, which employs some 20,000 people.
Entwistle said it was too early to say whether sexual abuse had been endemic within Britain`s publicly funded national broadcaster, but insisted the BBC would assist police if detectives chose to investigate whether there had been a pedophile ring at the corporation.
Entwistle acknowledged there had been "a problem of culture within the BBC ... A broader cultural problem" that allowed Savile`s behavior to go unchecked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad