More Britons travel to Somalia for `jihad`: Report
London: Intelligence chiefs have warned British Prime Minister Gordon Brown`s government that Somalia is the next challenge in efforts to stem Islamic terrorism, a report said on Sunday.
The officials have warned that the number of young Britons travelling to Somalia to fight in the war-torn country or take part in "terror training camps" is rising, the Independent on Sunday said, citing unnamed sources.
In particular, they are concerned about the number of people with no direct family connection to Somalia who are travelling there.
The number travelling there every year has more than quadrupled to at least 100 since 2004, according to the newspaper.
"I have seen figures that are not in the public domain that suggest there is an increasing flow of young Britons into Somalia," said opposition Conservative MP Patrick Mercer, chairman of the counter-terrorism subcommittee.
"There is now a mixture of British people, from numerous backgrounds, who are heading out there and that is causing great concern."
The Shebab, an al Qaeda inspired movement, is spearheading a three-month-old offensive to topple Somalia`s President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and has imposed strict Sharia law in areas under its control.
The US has expressed fear that the Shebab would turn Somalia into an extremist haven similar to the border area between Afghanistan and Pakistan -- which has been a top priority for the Barack Obama administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city