More charges over Taliban corpse urination video
Raleigh (US): Two more US Marines face criminal charges over a 2011 YouTube video showing members of a sniper platoon urinating on the corpses of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.
The Marine Corps announced yesterday that Sgt Robert W Richards faces charges including dereliction of duty and violating orders.
Military prosecutors say he filmed himself and others urinating on the corpses.
Capt James V Clement faces charges that include conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman for failing to properly supervise junior Marines and making false statements to investigators.
Hearings will determine if there was evidence to proceed to courts martial. No date has been set.
The video, which received international condemnation, shows four Marines in full combat gear urinating on the bodies of three Afghans in July 2011.
One Marine looks down at the bodies and jokes, "Have a good day, buddy."
John M Dowd, a civilian defense lawyer who said he and a military attorney are representing Clement, said their client is a decorated combat veteran who had no knowledge of the urination incident until months later, when the video was posted on the Internet.
"Capt Clement is not guilty of any offense and deserves the everlasting gratitude of the American people for his outstanding service in the Marine Corps," said Dowd.
Two other Marines have already faced courts martial. Staff Sgt Edward W Deptola pleaded guilty to multiple charges last month, admitting to a judge that he urinated on one of the three corpses and posed in the "trophy photographs."
Deptola said another sergeant in the platoon had been killed earlier that day by an IED, and the Marines believed the heavily armed Taliban fighters they killed could have been responsible for it.
Under the terms of his pre-trial plea agreement, Deptola is set to be demoted one rank.
Staff Sgt Joseph W Chamblin, who pleaded guilty in December, was reduced in rank to sergeant and fined USD 500.
The urination video surfaced on YouTube around the same time as other incidents that infuriated many Afghans.
American troops were caught up in controversies over burning Muslim holy books, posing for photos with insurgents` bloodied remains and an alleged massacre of 16 Afghan villagers by a soldier.
The Marine Corps said the urination took place during a counter insurgency operation in the Musa Qala district of Helmand province, located in the south of the country.
The United States now has 66,000 troops in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India