More curbs on UK student visas come into effect
London: As part efforts to curb abuse of
student visas, new restrictions announced by the David Cameron
government on working while studying and bringing students`
dependent to the UK have come into effect.
Home Office research shows that the student visa route
is often abused by people from India and other countries from
outside the European Union for entry into the country for work
rather than studies.
The new restrictions came into effect on July 4.
More restrictions are scheduled to come into effect
from April 2012, including the closure of the post-study work
visa, which currently enables non-EU students to take up work
for two years after completing studies in a UK university.
The new rules include restrictions on work
entitlements to migrants studying at higher educational
institutions and publicly funded further education colleges
So far, even those studying at private intuitions were
entitled to work.
Immigration minister Damian Green said, "(The) student
visa system isn`t up to scratch - it has failed to control
immigration, failed to select the brightest and best and
failed to protect legitimate students. The primary motivation
of too many users of the student immigration system is not to
receive a high-quality education but to live and work here
"And too many of the institutions that have managed to
obtain a sponsor license under Tier 4 are essentially
providing an immigration service, not an educational one. We
have endless examples of institutions and so-called students
working the system to get around changes made to try and
reduce the levels of abuse," Green said.
The Home Office, he said, had encountered students
barely able to hold a conversation in English turning up to
`study` degree-level courses.
The new rules also restrict the sponsorship of
dependants to those studying at postgraduate level at higher
education institutions on courses lasting at least 12 months,
and government-sponsored students on courses lasting at least
6 months; Henceforth, student applicants will have to ensure
that maintenance funds are genuinely available to the
applicant, by introducing a declaration on the visa
A Home Office spokesperson said that the changes were
aimed at delivering a strong migration system which tackled
immigration abuse while allowing genuine students to study at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in