More than 100 nations recognise Palestine as a state
Paris: At least 112 countries around the
world have formally recognised Palestine as a state,
stretching from Africa to Asia, Europe to Latin America.
In Latin America, Uruguay and Peru joined the growing
ranks of countries which recognised Palestine this year, with
12 out of the region`s 13 countries formally recognising it as
Only Colombia, a key ally of the United States in the
region, has not followed that path.
In Central America, the Palestinian state has been
recognised by Cuba, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and El
Arab countries have also recognised Palestine, including
Syria in July of this year.
In Europe, Iceland has become the latest country to
recognise Palestine, joining the Czech Republic, Hungary,
Malta and Poland.
Around 150 countries maintain diplomatic relations with
the Palestinians in one form or another.
Palestine currently has "observer" status at the United
Nations, but in September, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas
formally asked the United Nations for full state membership.
In October, Palestine was granted full membership at the
UN cultural organisation, UNESCO, in a diplomatic victory won
despite stiff resistance from the United States and Israel.
Earlier this week, Abbas urged the European Union to
support their UN membership bid after the Palestinian flag was
raised over the UNESCO`s headquarters for the first time.
Figures published by the Palestine Liberation
Organisation indicate that 130 countries have recognised
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'