More than 100 nations recognise Palestine as a state
Paris: At least 112 countries around the
world have formally recognised Palestine as a state,
stretching from Africa to Asia, Europe to Latin America.
In Latin America, Uruguay and Peru joined the growing
ranks of countries which recognised Palestine this year, with
12 out of the region`s 13 countries formally recognising it as
Only Colombia, a key ally of the United States in the
region, has not followed that path.
In Central America, the Palestinian state has been
recognised by Cuba, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and El
Arab countries have also recognised Palestine, including
Syria in July of this year.
In Europe, Iceland has become the latest country to
recognise Palestine, joining the Czech Republic, Hungary,
Malta and Poland.
Around 150 countries maintain diplomatic relations with
the Palestinians in one form or another.
Palestine currently has "observer" status at the United
Nations, but in September, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas
formally asked the United Nations for full state membership.
In October, Palestine was granted full membership at the
UN cultural organisation, UNESCO, in a diplomatic victory won
despite stiff resistance from the United States and Israel.
Earlier this week, Abbas urged the European Union to
support their UN membership bid after the Palestinian flag was
raised over the UNESCO`s headquarters for the first time.
Figures published by the Palestine Liberation
Organisation indicate that 130 countries have recognised
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP