More than 100 Nigerians killed in oil tanker explosion
Abuja: Over 100 people, including women and children, were killed and 50 others injured on Thursday when an overturned petrol tanker in Nigeria`s southern Rivers state exploded as people tried to scoop up fuel, officials said.
"More than 100 people were killed in the inferno from the petrol tanker," an official said.
"We have recovered 93 bodies from the scene," National Emergency Management Agency spokesman Yushua Shuaib said.
Officials of the oil-rich African country`s Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said 50 others were also seriously injured when the tanker loaded with petrol fell in Okogbe and exploded as people rushed to the spot to scoop the spilled petrol.
FRSC commander for Rivers State Kayode Olagunju said that three other vehicles and the tanker were involved in a road accident early today at Ahoada West Local Government Area of the state.
"Rescue workers from the police, road safety, fire service, civil defence and NEMA were at the scene to evacuate victims and control traffic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof