More than 100 Nigerians killed in oil tanker explosion
Abuja: Over 100 people, including women and children, were killed and 50 others injured on Thursday when an overturned petrol tanker in Nigeria`s southern Rivers state exploded as people tried to scoop up fuel, officials said.
"More than 100 people were killed in the inferno from the petrol tanker," an official said.
"We have recovered 93 bodies from the scene," National Emergency Management Agency spokesman Yushua Shuaib said.
Officials of the oil-rich African country`s Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said 50 others were also seriously injured when the tanker loaded with petrol fell in Okogbe and exploded as people rushed to the spot to scoop the spilled petrol.
FRSC commander for Rivers State Kayode Olagunju said that three other vehicles and the tanker were involved in a road accident early today at Ahoada West Local Government Area of the state.
"Rescue workers from the police, road safety, fire service, civil defence and NEMA were at the scene to evacuate victims and control traffic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened