More than 100 Nigerians killed in oil tanker explosion
Abuja: Over 100 people, including women and children, were killed and 50 others injured on Thursday when an overturned petrol tanker in Nigeria`s southern Rivers state exploded as people tried to scoop up fuel, officials said.
"More than 100 people were killed in the inferno from the petrol tanker," an official said.
"We have recovered 93 bodies from the scene," National Emergency Management Agency spokesman Yushua Shuaib said.
Officials of the oil-rich African country`s Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said 50 others were also seriously injured when the tanker loaded with petrol fell in Okogbe and exploded as people rushed to the spot to scoop the spilled petrol.
FRSC commander for Rivers State Kayode Olagunju said that three other vehicles and the tanker were involved in a road accident early today at Ahoada West Local Government Area of the state.
"Rescue workers from the police, road safety, fire service, civil defence and NEMA were at the scene to evacuate victims and control traffic," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you