More than 230 killed in Brazil nightclub fire
Rio de Janeiro: A massive fire in a crowded nightclub in Brazil`s university city of Santa Maria killed at least 230 people, Xinhua reported Sunday.
There was a party going on for college students in the "Kiss" nightclub in Santa Maria in Rio Grande do Sul state when the fire started around 2.30 a.m.
A band member performing on stage reportedly lit fireworks that caused the fire.
The fire spread very fast, with the room quickly filling with black smoke.
There was only one exit for the nightclub, which reportedly caused a stampede as the partygoers tried to escape.
Mayor Gerson da Rosa Ferreira said the deaths were caused by asphyxiation or trampling and that 500 people were in the nightclub when the fire broke out.
The nightclub, which can hold 2,000 people at a time, was popular among local youths and college students.
A media channel said 15 bodies were found in the club`s toilets where people had apparently sought refuge.
A firefighter told BBC he had never seen such a tragedy in his life, with the victims "so young".
A 23-year-old witness, Luana Santos Silva, told Brazil`s Globo TV: "We looked up at the ceiling in front of the stage and it was catching fire. My sister grabbed me and dragged me out on the ground."
She said the exit was a "small door for lots of people to come out by".
Her 29-year-old sister, Aline Santos Silva, added: "We managed to see it in time and to get out quickly, before the smoke began to spread."
"The smoke spread really quickly, it didn`t give enough time for people to get out. I think people started to feel unwell, and then they began to come out covered in black smoke stains."
Fire chief Guido de Melo said: "People started panicking and ended up treading on each other."
Santa Maria is located at the southern tip of Brazil near the borders with Argentina and Uruguay. It is a major university city with a population of around 250,000.
President Dilma Rousseff, attending a summit between the 27-member European Union and the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States in Chile, stopped her visit to return home.
She telephoned Rio Grande do Sul Governor Tarso Genro, offering federal aid for the tragedy at the nightclub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?