More than 30,000 pistols seized in Oman transit
Muscat: Oman police said they have seized more than 30,000 pistols aboard a tanker, which a newspaper reports was bound for neighboring Yemen.
The seizure comes two years after an Abu Dhabi court sentenced six people for a foiled plot to smuggle 16,000 pistols from Turkey to Shiite rebels in northern Yemen.
The official Oman News Agency quoted a police colonel as saying nine Omanis were arrested in connection with the alleged shipment of 30,393 pistols discovered in Sohar, a port about 200 kilometers northwest of the capital Muscat.
It gave no other details.
But the Dubai-based newspaper Gulf News cited anonymous sources on Thursday as saying the vessel came from Turkey and was bound for Yemen, where Shiite rebels have waged an insurgency for years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...