More than 30,000 pistols seized in Oman transit
Muscat: Oman police said they have seized more than 30,000 pistols aboard a tanker, which a newspaper reports was bound for neighboring Yemen.
The seizure comes two years after an Abu Dhabi court sentenced six people for a foiled plot to smuggle 16,000 pistols from Turkey to Shiite rebels in northern Yemen.
The official Oman News Agency quoted a police colonel as saying nine Omanis were arrested in connection with the alleged shipment of 30,393 pistols discovered in Sohar, a port about 200 kilometers northwest of the capital Muscat.
It gave no other details.
But the Dubai-based newspaper Gulf News cited anonymous sources on Thursday as saying the vessel came from Turkey and was bound for Yemen, where Shiite rebels have waged an insurgency for years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India