More US sanctions won’t deter Iran: President Ahmadinejad
Tehran: Iran`s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
said today that further UN Security Council sanction will not
deter Iran from pursuing its controversial nuclear programme.
The hardliner also vowed that Iran will not back down
"one iota" in the face of international pressures over the
atomic work, which the West fears may be a cover for weapons
development despite Iran`s persistent denial.
"They issued several resolutions and sanctioned Iran.
They think Iranians will fall on their knees over these things
but they are mistaken," Ahmadinejad said in a speech in
southern Iran carried live on state television.
"We are not interested in conflicts (but) you are
continually demanding things," he said to world powers, led by
the United States, which are seeking to curb Iran`s atomic
"They should not think they can put up obstacles in
Iranians` ways. I assure the people that the government will
whole-heartedly defend Iran`s rights and will not back down
one iota," he said.
Iran is already under three sets of UN Security
Council sanctions over its defiance and refusal to suspend
enrichment, which lies at the heart of international fears
about its nuclear programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love