More US sanctions won’t deter Iran: President Ahmadinejad
Tehran: Iran`s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
said today that further UN Security Council sanction will not
deter Iran from pursuing its controversial nuclear programme.
The hardliner also vowed that Iran will not back down
"one iota" in the face of international pressures over the
atomic work, which the West fears may be a cover for weapons
development despite Iran`s persistent denial.
"They issued several resolutions and sanctioned Iran.
They think Iranians will fall on their knees over these things
but they are mistaken," Ahmadinejad said in a speech in
southern Iran carried live on state television.
"We are not interested in conflicts (but) you are
continually demanding things," he said to world powers, led by
the United States, which are seeking to curb Iran`s atomic
"They should not think they can put up obstacles in
Iranians` ways. I assure the people that the government will
whole-heartedly defend Iran`s rights and will not back down
one iota," he said.
Iran is already under three sets of UN Security
Council sanctions over its defiance and refusal to suspend
enrichment, which lies at the heart of international fears
about its nuclear programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?