More US sanctions won’t deter Iran: President Ahmadinejad
Tehran: Iran`s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
said today that further UN Security Council sanction will not
deter Iran from pursuing its controversial nuclear programme.
The hardliner also vowed that Iran will not back down
"one iota" in the face of international pressures over the
atomic work, which the West fears may be a cover for weapons
development despite Iran`s persistent denial.
"They issued several resolutions and sanctioned Iran.
They think Iranians will fall on their knees over these things
but they are mistaken," Ahmadinejad said in a speech in
southern Iran carried live on state television.
"We are not interested in conflicts (but) you are
continually demanding things," he said to world powers, led by
the United States, which are seeking to curb Iran`s atomic
"They should not think they can put up obstacles in
Iranians` ways. I assure the people that the government will
whole-heartedly defend Iran`s rights and will not back down
one iota," he said.
Iran is already under three sets of UN Security
Council sanctions over its defiance and refusal to suspend
enrichment, which lies at the heart of international fears
about its nuclear programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves