More US states allowing guns in bars and restaurants
New York: Much to the dismay of the anti-gun lobby, an increasing number of states in the US are allowing Americans to carry loaded guns into bars and restaurants, raising concerns that armed citizens would make the environment dangerous.
Tennessee, Arizona, Georgia and Virginia recently joined 18 other states that allow handgun permit holders to bring guns in bars and restaurants, and the new developments follow two Supreme Court judgements that citizens have an individual right to keep a loaded handgun for home defence.
Noting that the gun lobby was pushing to expand guns in everyday life, the New York Times said that the Supreme Court rulings, which overturned handgun bans in Washington and Chicago, had strengthened the position of the pro-gun groups across the country.
"A lot of states for a long time have not felt the need to say you could or couldn`t do it," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence.
"There weren`t as many conceal-carry permits out there, so it wasn`t really an issue".
Now, Helmke added, "The attitude from the gun lobby is that they should be able to take their guns wherever they want. In the last year, they`re starting to move toward needing no permit at all".
Governor Rick Perry of Texas, a Republican, had even called for guns to be made legal on campuses.
Following a shooting last week at the University of Texas, Perry is arguing that if other bystanders had been warned, they may have stopped the gunman.
Under Tennessee`s new law, however, gun permit holders are not supposed to drink alcohol while carrying weapons.
But critics point out that this provision does not guarantee safety.
"Guns and alcohol don`t mix; that`s the bottom line," said Michael Drescher, a spokesman for Governor Phil Bredesen of Tennessee, a Democrat, who vetoed the bill but was overridden by the legislature.
The law also allows restaurant and bar owners to post signs prohibiting people from bringing guns inside their bars and restaurants.
But many business owners do not explicitly ban these firearms as they fear losing their gun-owning clientele.
An anonymous waiter has filed a complaint that guns in bars and restaurants create an unsafe work environment for people work inside.
"I have a right to go into a restaurant or bar and not have people armed. And of course, the waiter has a right to a safe workplace," said David Randolph Smith, the waiter`s lawyer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt