Moroccan jailed for 3 years for insulting King
Rabat: A Moroccan activist has been jailed for three years for slandering King Mohammed in an Internet video, the official news agency reported on Tuesday, in a case that has highlighted brewing discontent in one of Morocco`s poorest cities.
The YouTube video shows 24-year-old Abdassamad Haidour berating the King as he addressed a gaggle of people in the street, seemingly aware that he was being filmed.
Human rights activists said the video was recorded last month during riots over high power prices and unemployment.
"(The man) appears on videos detrimental to the sacred values of the kingdom," the official MAP news agency said, adding that the judge also fined him 10,000 dirhams.
Morocco`s most prominent human right organisation, AMDH, said police used excessive force in taming the riots in Taza. Seventeen other people were jailed for up to 10 months for their part in the unrest, the second such flare-up there this year.
Haidour was arrested on Friday and rushed through the courts despite no lawyers in Taza willing to defend him, a sign of the deference with which many Moroccans still hold the monarch. Haidour refused the offer of a court-appointed lawyer.
The King, whose family have ruled the country since the 17th century, relinquished some powers after pro-democracy protests last year but still controls security and foreign policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what