Morsi hopes for political compromise to end Egypt
Cairo: Embattled Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi is planning to reach out to the country`s main opposition bloc and youth groups to control widespread political turmoil and discontent plaguing the nation.
Morsi plans to dispatch two of his aides to open talks with the opposition National Salvation Front (NSF) umbrella group and political youth movements in hopes of resolving Egypt`s current political impasse, a presidential source told the Ahram Online.
According to the source, one presidential aide will be tasked with meeting NSF leaders in an effort to convince the latter to enter `national dialogue` talks. The NSF has until now refused to enter into dialogue until the presidency meets a series of preconditions.
These include the replacement of the current government, the dismissal of the Morsi-appointed prosecutor-general, and the launch of credible investigations into recent political violence.
Meanwhile, Morsi plans to send a second aide to meet with a number of political youth groups with the aim of setting a timetable for holding meetings with the presidency.
"The president is adamant about resolving the current national divide," the source asserted.
Morsi "doesn`t mind" appointing a new cabinet, the same source said, as long as it "enjoys consensus" and receives guarantees from the opposition that the current political situation would stabilise once new ministers were sworn in.
"The president fears that if he replaces the cabinet, the new one, too, will face unreasonable pressures (by the opposition)," the source said.
Meanwhile, ongoing political tensions have thrown Egypt`s second post-revolution parliamentary polls - which the NSF has vowed to boycott - into doubt.
Elections were initially slated for April 22, but it remains unclear if they will be held on schedule.
Last week, an administrative court suspended the presidential decree calling for the polls, based on doubts over the constitutionality of recently-amended laws governing parliamentary polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror