Mortars kill seven pilgrims in Iraq holy city: police
Karbala: A mortar attack killed seven people and wounded 46 in the southern Shiite holy city of Karbala as pilgrims gathered for a ceremony, Iraqi police said Wednesday.
"Several mortars landed at 11:00 pm (0800 GMT on Tuesday), killing seven pilgrims and injuring 46, in a neighbourhood located four kilometres northwest of the centre
of the city," a Karbala police officer said.
"The pilgrims were coming from around the city to participate in the ceremony" marking the birthday of the Mahdi, the 12th and last Shiite imam, the officer said, adding
several houses were damaged.
Shiites -- the majority of Iraq`s population -- believe the imam will return to Earth on the Day of Judgment.
Yesterday`s attack came a day after twin car bombings in Karbala killed 21 people and wounded at least 47 others.
US and Iraqi officials have warned of the dangers of an upsurge in violence as negotiations on forming a new governing coalition have dragged on, more than four months after Parliamentary Elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India