Moscow demands explanation over US missile deployment
Moscow: Russia on Thursday said it wants an
explanation from America and Poland on the deployment of US
surface-to-air Patriot-type missiles near the Russian border.
"We do not understand completely what is the need is
to create military infrastructure in close proximity to
Russian borders. These are the questions that we ask our
Polish colleagues and US partners," Foreign Minister Sergei
"So far we have been told only one thing: do not
worry, this is not aimed against you. We have already heard
this in the past and we consider that the new nature of
relations between Washington and Warsaw allows us to expect
more detailed explanations on what is happening," Lavrov said.
The Patriot missile base has been unveiled yesterday
under the US-2009 Supplemental Status of Forces Agreement
(SOFA) near the northern Polish town of Morag, 80 km from the
Russian border. It is the first such deployment on Polish
Yesterday, Polish Defence Minister Bogdan Klich
welcomed the stationing of US Patriot missiles on Polish soil,
describing it as an important step in strengthening Poland`s
The Patriots, designed to intercept incoming
surface-to-surface missiles, and some 150 US troops due to
service them, arrived in Morag on Sunday.
Poland a former Soviet ally is a member of NATO.
Russia yesterday slammed the US decision to deploy the
Patriot in Poland, saying the move jeopardised bilateral
relations and security in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!