Moscow endures snowiest winter in 100 years
Moscow: The Russian capital has not witnessed such a snowy winter in the past 100 years, Deputy Mayor Pyotr Biryukov said Tuesday after heavy snowfall hit the city Monday night.
"This is the snowiest winter in 100 years," Biryukov said.
He said 216 cm of snow blanketed Moscow since the beginning of winter, which was 1.5 times above the climatic norm.
The snowfall, which continued in and around the capital until the early hours of Tuesday, brought Moscow`s traffic to a virtual standstill.
The total length of traffic jams in the city reached 3,500 km, equal to the distance between Moscow and Madrid.
The snowfall also caused the delay of 155 flights, while 56 planes had to seek alternative landing sites.
Among them was that of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, which had to land in St Petersburg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof