Moscow endures snowiest winter in 100 years
Moscow: The Russian capital has not witnessed such a snowy winter in the past 100 years, Deputy Mayor Pyotr Biryukov said Tuesday after heavy snowfall hit the city Monday night.
"This is the snowiest winter in 100 years," Biryukov said.
He said 216 cm of snow blanketed Moscow since the beginning of winter, which was 1.5 times above the climatic norm.
The snowfall, which continued in and around the capital until the early hours of Tuesday, brought Moscow`s traffic to a virtual standstill.
The total length of traffic jams in the city reached 3,500 km, equal to the distance between Moscow and Madrid.
The snowfall also caused the delay of 155 flights, while 56 planes had to seek alternative landing sites.
Among them was that of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, which had to land in St Petersburg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'