Moscow to provide assistance to Russian `spies` held by FBI
Moscow: Russia on Thursday vowed to provide all
necessary assistance to its nationals arrested by the FBI on
charges of espionage and would seek full information on the
"If there be need for assistance, we, of course, will
provide it to full extent. We will also seek full information
about what actually happened," Russian Foreign Ministry
spokesman Andrei Nesterenko today said.
Ten people were arrested by Federal Bureau of
Investigations (FBI) on Sunday on suspicion of being part of
an espionage ring spying for Russia.
An 11th suspect was detained on Tuesday in Cyprus, but
reports on Wednesday said police on the island were looking
for him after he apparently jumped bail.
After initially reacting with fury, Russia has since
been at pains to prevent the scandal spiralling into a major
diplomatic crisis and said it does not expect the incident to
It had threatened to derail the recent `burger`
diplomacy between Presidents Barack Obama and Dmitry Medvedev
and the `reset` in bilateral ties.
Russian officials have sought an explanation from the
United States over the arrest of the Russian "spies".
Meanwhile, Russia`s Children Ombudsman said that
putting the children of the 11 US spy suspects under state
care was an extreme measure.
Among the accused, there are four married couples with
"By law, priority is given to close relatives and
friends in situations like this. But if this is impossible,
the children are placed under state care as a last resort. I
hope...the interests of the children will be taken into
account when the court makes its decision," ombudsman Pavel
Astakhov was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
The Washington Post today reported that child
protection agencies in several US states are deciding if they
can allow relatives of the suspects to care for the children
during the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more