Moscow to spend $4 mn for good weather
Moscow: Authorities in Moscow have revealed they will spend almost $4 million to ensure city residents be able to enjoy two rain-free national holidays in the coming months.
A notice posted Thursday on Russia`s state tender website called on companies to apply for the job to provide "meteorological protection for the city".
The technique of cloud dispersal, or cloud seeding, dates back to the Soviet era. The substances used can include silver iodide, dry ice and cement powder.
Whichever company gets the job can expect payment of around 121 million rubles ($3.9 million).
The holidays that the Moscow administration wants to provide good weather for are Victory Day, May 9, and Russia Day, June 12, which are celebrated with mass outdoor gathering and parades.
While Muscovites may benefit from the cloud seeding, residents in areas around the city have reported that practice often pushes any prospective poor weather over them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal