Mosque prayer service in Nigeria after attacks
Kano: The emir of Kano has led a prayer service asking for God to help end attacks by a radical Islamist sect across Nigeria`s north.
The ceremony by the senior Muslim religious official was held on Monday in the city of Kano, where more than 170 were killed in a series of coordinated attacks Friday by Boko Haram. The emir spoke only for one minute in a voice so soft those gathered inside the half-emptied mosque could barely hear.
Boko Haram means "Western education is sacrilege" in the Hausa language of Nigeria`s north.
The group has carried out increasingly sophisticated and bloody attacks in its campaign to implement strict Shariah law and avenge the deaths of Muslims in communal violence across Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 'Online purchase of sexual wellness products more preferred in Tier III cities'
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly