Mosque torched in Israel; extremists suspected
Jerusalem: A mosque in a Bedouin village in northern Israel was set on fire and graffiti sprayed on its walls overnight on Monday, locals said, in an attack blamed on Jewish extremists.
"The whole mosque was burned -- the carpet, the books, the Qurans, all burned," the village imam, Fuad Zangariya, told Army Radio. Zanagariya said the words "Palmer" and "revenge" were sprayed on the entrance to the mosque.
Last week, police said a car crash on September 23 which killed Asher Palmer, a Jewish settler, and his one-year-old-son was caused by Palestinians who threw stones at the car.
Israel police said the mosque was badly damaged, its carpets and interior burned and the Hebrew words "Price Tag" sprayed on its wall. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the attack, saying it offended the nation`s core values.
For some hardline Jewish settlers, the "Price Tag" slogan signifies payback for any Israeli curbs on settlement in the West Bank, which Israel captured in a 1967 war and where Palestinians hope to create an independent state.
Two mosques were vandalised in the territory last month following partial demolitions by the Israeli Army in an unauthorised Jewish settlement.
"This incident has `Price Tag` characteristics and we have set up a special task force to investigate it," Ran Levi, head of a local police station, told Army Radio.
Jamal Zangriya, a resident of the village, told Israel Radio: "We believe extremists from outside the village did it," blaming rabbis from the nearby town of Safed for incitement against Arabs, which he said may have led to the incident.
Netanyahu`s office said the Prime Minister was outraged when he saw pictures of the damage. "This act goes against the highest values of Israel, freedom of religion and religious practice," it said in a statement.
Police said they had beefed up their presence in the area to prevent acts of retaliation.
Arabs make up around 20 percent of Israel`s population, the vast majority of them Muslim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!